Fall & Winter Fashion

Fall & Winter Fashion
Fall/Winter Style

Work Style

Work Style
Work Style

Dressing Room

Dressing Room
Dressing Room Diaries

My First Impressions of Eating Clean


As I've been sharing with y'all, for the past two weeks I've been "eating clean" and trying to improve my overall health and fitness levels.  Before taking the dive into this whole process, I really wasn't sure what to expect. A ton of my girlfriends had been doing it, and I heard bits and pieces, but I thought it would be great to share my initial thoughts and reactions with all of y'all! (And I am no nutrition expert, so these are my personal thoughts but of course always do what is right for you & your health!)



{The Simple Steps I've Been Doing to Make a Change}
I guess we should start with the basics... what in the world have I changed in my diet?? It's really nothing overly revolutionary, but it sure is harder than is sounds for a southern girl that loves fried food and is on the go! But it boils down to this:

- Cutting down carbs as much as possible (bye bye bread & pasta)
- Making food from scratch (limiting my intake of any processed or pre-packaged food and snacks)
- Adding more fruit and veggies into my diet (y'all I thought I HATED veggies, but turns out I don't!)
- Adding more proteins into my diet (hello chicken and eggs!)
- Cutting out sweets and sugar (except for my coffee creamer!)

{First Impression #1: Prepare to be HUNGRY}
I knew making a change to my diet might take a few days to adjust to, but I had NO idea how much carbs were filling me up. For the first week I was starving; like no joke I had to snack every 2 hours or my stomach would make "feed me" noises. I've always been a three meal a day girl too (not a snacker), so moving to smaller "meals" and adding in snacks was a big change for me. But now that my body is getting in the groove, I've adjusted well and no longer am struggling with being ravenous all day! My go-to snacks are 100 calorie greek yogurt, hummus and veggies, and fresh fruit. Publix has perfectly sized snack packs of fresh fruit that just came out (they are $1.50 each) and I stock up on Sunday so I have one to grab each day for my morning nosh.

{First Impression #2: I Want to Workout More}
You may think with all the intense hunger I was feeling that the last thing I would want to do was workout, but in fact the exact opposite happened- I've been more motivated than ever to hit the gym! I think it's because for the first time in months I'm paying careful attention to my body, which makes me so much more aware of how great I feel after a good workout! Once those endorphins get pumping I can't get enough! It's crazy how a simple change, like eating cleaner, starts to affect so many more areas of your life!

{First Impression #3: Bye Bye Bloat}
I'm sure many of you are going to say "duh" about this... But I seriously had no idea just how bloated my intense carb intake was making me! As part of this whole process I'm taking weekly measurements to see how my body changes, and I noticed almost instantly just how much my bloat was reduced. Well a week in, I lost 4 inches from my waist just from bloat! That is both exciting and a bummer to realize just how much I was letting carbs impact my waistline!  (Note: I still LOVE carbs and don't think they are inherently bad, but have realized how much more I need to moderate them in my diet.)

{First Impression #4: Time to Cook!}
I guess it goes without saying, but when you cut out prepackaged and processed foods, it means you've got to cook from scratch! I've turned my Sunday afternoons into meal prep days, and spend about 2 hours putting dishes together and splitting up my portions for the week. Since I'm on-the-go, my tupperware has become my best friend and I'm able to grab a nutritious meal and my snacks on the way out the door in the morning. (I plan on doing a full post soon of some of my favorite recipes so far- but let me know if there is anything more specific you want to know about!)

{First Impression #5: Get Ready to Feel Great!}
Even though it's only been two weeks, with the positive changes in my body, workouts, and overall energy level it is safe to say I feel fabulous! Each day gets a little easier and I'm learning to like all sorts of new foods (I'm looking at you cucumbers!) and how great they make my body feel! 

So tell me, have you tried "eating clean"? Any tips or tricks you've learned? Advice for this newbie? 

If there is anything more you'd like to know about my food, recipes, workouts, please let me know! I'd love to share more about my fitness journey & it definitely holds me accountable :) 



10 comments

  1. You were my inspiration. A little rough the first week but the bloat is going fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are on the right path girl!! You're doing so well and the bloat going away is amazing! xo, Biana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hungry all the time I feel! I need to do a better job of snacking on veggies. you look great and life is always better when you don't feel bloated! Ha!!

    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect! We've been trying so hard to eat better - definitely a work in progress! I thought I'd hate veggies too but as I try more and more I find more and more that I like. And a big YES to hungry all the time, haha! Glad it's going so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did Whole 30 but only made it two weeks because it ended up making me sick (I think it was extreme and "too" clean). BUT, it had me feeling phenomenal and sleeping so well... there's probably a good balance in there somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's great and so inspirational!!
    I gave up sugar-mostly-and it has been a life changer!
    Katelyn
    www.theyellowspectacles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eating clean can be tough- but sooo worth it! I'm glad you're seeing some success, lady! Keep up the great work! :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this! But I did shed a tear when you said goodbye to pasta and bread! My biggest fear is being super hungry which would equate to hangry lol! But feeling great, wanting to work out more, and saying bye to bloat are all amazing! Keep it up gurlie <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  9. So proud of you! I use to be a super clean eater and now Im super not haha! It is the worst being hungry all the time! I need to fine my happy medium!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get it girl! My husband and I are on the same path right now... the biggest thing is that we're finally able to focus on grocery shopping, meal planning, and cooking/eating at home. Game. Changer. Hope things continue to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your sweet and encouraging words! Thank you for taking time to comment! (I reply by email unless you have a "no-reply" address set up)