Spring & Summer Fashion

Spring & Summer Fashion
Spring/Summer Style

Work Style

Work Style
Work Style

Dressing Room

Dressing Room
Dressing Room Diaries

January Book Review


Welcome to another new series coming to Girl Meets Bow in 2017- a monthly book review! As I mentioned in my 2017 Resolutions, I'm working to read more books & get back to my bookworm roots & doing these monthly roundups is helping to keep me motivated! This month I managed three books (hoping in the coming months to read even more) but I am excited to share them with you. So without further ado... Here is my January book review!


Cancel the Wedding || 5.0 out of 5.0
I scooped up this book after Shay recommended it as her favorite book of 2016 - and she couldn't have been more right!

Cancel the Wedding is about Olivia, an early thirty-something who has it all on the surface but is struggling with discontentment in her life. On the one year anniversary of her mother's death she decides it's time to scatter her ashes and follows her mother's strange request to be scattered in her small hometown in Georgia. Olivia knows very little of her mother's past so she grabs her 14-year old niece for a road trip to uncover the mystery of who her mother was.

I wish I could tell you more but then I'd give it all away! I can say this- this book was an absolute page turner and I both raced to the end because I couldn't wait to find out what happened and I simultaneously wished it was 1000 more pages because the story was so good! It has an element of mystery, a ton of romance, and is just an amazing story that will leave you so full after finishing it. It may be one of my best books of the year already!


The Circle Maker || 4.5 out of 5.0
My bible study group just finished this book and it was my second time going through it - and I loved it even more the second time around! If you are struggling in your prayer life or wondering how to pray better - this book will revolutionize prayer for you! I hadn't ever really thought about my prayer life like that, and Mark's guidance and encouragement made me see how exciting and fun prayer can be! It also teaches you how to dig into big prayers and pray circles around the things that God calls you to want the most. (I now pray my circles every morning with Buddy on our walk!) Note: There is also a study guide that coordinates with the book if you're looking to dive in even more.


The Marrying Type || 3.5 out of 5.0
This was a cute & lighthearted read about a wedding planner, Elliott who runs a long-standing wedding business in Charleston (my favorite city) and ends up participating in a reality TV show about wedding planners. Her newest bride-to-be happens to be the sister of her college love (& biggest heartbreak) so we follow her story as she plans the wedding of the season and comes to terms with her own heart. This was definitely a cute and light read, but like a lot of chick lit it was very predictable and I could see the ending from a mile away.

So what's currently in my queue? I've started A Dog's Purpose (which is already a tear-jerker) and am looking forward to diving into Grace Not Perfection. I definitely would like a fun fiction read so if you have any recommendations send them my way!


9 comments

  1. wow, I just bought Cancel The Wedding and I don't even have time to read right now. It sounds amazing and I can't wait to get into it!

    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I just finished a book recommendation from B and was looking for a new one! I will definitely be downloading Cancel the Wedding when I get home! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving all of the new series that you've got going on on your blog :) That first book sounds like a great read. I just ordered The Magnolia Story & Talking as Fast as I Can... hope they end up being good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the marrying type a little while ago and thought it was so cute!! Adding cancel the wedding to my list! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh - I'm going to have to add The Circle Maker to my list! Definitely one to buy, because I anticipate I'll do a lot of highlighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I underlined it the first time i read it and then highlighted the next- There is lots you will want to remember :)

      Delete
  6. Good picks-I always want to read more in the winter-but time seems to escape me-ha--btw--I am still loving your Monday post--that custom T was so cute!

    ~Katelyn/www.theyellowspectacles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cancel the Wedding is on my reading list for this month too!!! I just started the Couple Next Door and so far it caught my attention immediately. I love a good suspense/thriller, so I'm excited to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you will love it!! I've been hearing great things about the Couple Next Door so I will add that to my Kindle :) Thanks for the rec!

      Delete

I love reading your sweet and encouraging words! Thank you for taking time to comment! (I reply by email unless you have a "no-reply" address set up)