Spring & Summer Fashion

Spring & Summer Fashion
Spring/Summer Style

Work Style

Work Style
Work Style

Dressing Room

Dressing Room
Dressing Room Diaries

Checking In: Hurricane Irma Status Update


Hey friends! I am humbled, grateful, and thankful to be writing this post today. There are not enough ways for me to say THANK YOU to every single one of y'all for your prayers, DMs, comments, and messages throughout this unknown period of Hurricane Irma. I seriously felt the encouragement & hope from every single of them and they were immensely appreciated! 

Since it has felt like #irmageddon has been the only thing on my mind for the past week, I thought I would check in today and let you know everything that happened and how I'm doing! (Spoiler Alert: all is good on the home front and I'm THANKFUL!)

Ps- this is certainly now going to be the most glamorous post ever, but it's about as honest as can be! (There's not many ways to be cute during a hurricane!)


Because when faced with the threat of a flooded home... I grabbed my Lilly! 

Thursday September 7th: 
All we could talk about all week at work was the storm & how bad it was predicted to be. It seems like each day the news was looking more and more dire for us. About halfway through the day on Thurday I got a notification that all A Zone residents were under mandatory evacuation starting Fridya morning at 6am. Can we just chat about how freaked out that made me?! So I ran home after work, hastily threw together a few suitcases, prepped my apartment in case it flooded (I live on the first floor) and then grabbed Buddy & loaded up the car. Off we went to Orlando! So thankful that my parents are close and able to take in us evacuees! 


Friday September 8th: 
Since I was off of work & the hurricane didn't start yet, it was actually a pretty day in Orlando and I took full advantage! I was super over due for an oil change (#adultproblems) so Buddy and I went to my dealership & then we met my best friend Asha for lunch. It was such a fun surprise to get to see her while I was home! At this point all weather forecasts had the hurricane making a direct hit on the west coast & hitting St Pete so I was really stressing out!! When they predict 8 foot storm surges coming in to your home, what can you do?!


Saturday September 9th:
It was full hurricane prep mode at my parents house! While my dad sandbagged the house and my mom pre-made food, buddy and I decided to take a long walk while we still could. I shared this photo on my insta-stories because it was too funny not to! While we were out for a walk it started to POUR rain... And let's just say my Buddy hates the rain and so he flat out refused to walk! We were about a mile from home still so I had to start carrying him (he is 60 pounds!) but I could only make it a couple hundred yards before having to set him down to rest my arms. Oh my goodness it took forever to get home and we were both soaked to the bone & miserable! Then as I'm walking up (my parents were waiting with warm towels in the garage) my mom goes "we have to get a picture of this!" So friends, here you go :) proof that life behind this blog is far from glamorous! Ha


Post-rain trauma and looking like a refugee!

Sunday, September 10th:
Mid morning on Sunday we started feeling the effects of Irma. The winds were picking up & the rain was pouring down, so we "hunkered down" in the house & watched the Weather Channel nonstop to keep up with the storm. As the day progressed and the night closed in- the storm began to turn and the eye was headed for us! While in the end this spared my home in St Pete, it made for the loudest winds & rains I have ever heard in Orlando! It sounded like the roof was going to fly off our house!! And since the storm was at night we weren't able to see what was going on or check for damages. We lost power around 10:30 pm, so we grabbed our portable lanterns and went to bed (although the noise didn't make it easy!)


Monday September 11th:
We woke up to more wind in rains, but the worst of Irma was gone and we were able to assess the damages. As I type this we are still without power, but so grateful that only some minimal water damage, downed trees branches, and lost shingles are all that Irma left us with. My family and friends are all safe and I am incredibly thankful and grateful! 



Though out this scary experience it certainly felt like the Lord had us in the palm of his hand. The hurricane was supposed to hit as a 4/5 and only go down to a 3, but it hit Florida as a 4 and went down to a 2/1 by the time it reached us! They predicted storm surges of 8ft in St Pete & the waves didn't even cross the sea wall! Condition after condition was predicted to be catastrophic, but not a single one was. THANKFUL doesn't even begin to cover it!! 

However, there are many areas of the state & Carribbean who did suffer dramatic destruction and loss, and my heart aches for each and every resident. As I did for Hurricane Harvey, I am working on a resource page of ways to give back and help victims of Hurricane Irma. If there is anything I've witnessed the past week it is the true goodness of people (y'all rock!) and that we are truly so much stronger together. 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your love & support! Xoxo




10 comments

  1. I prayed and prayed hard ! So glad you are safe ! I have been glued to CNN for a week, not joking ! Try and have a good week lady and there's a lot of clean up but nothing that can't be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that you are safe and sound. What a scary ordeal for everyone in Florida and I hope your power goes back on soon.


    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you are safe. Wishing you the very best and take care of yourself too!

    www.zinnyfactor.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are safe, it must have been so scary.

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. sad sad... thank you for sharing updates!
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com
    instagram @grace_njio

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you all are safe and unharmed and the damages were minimal. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news! Glad you and your family are safe and sound.
    Such a stressful week, and I know I'm not the only one ready to get back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a stressful weekend for you. I'm glad you and your family are all safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh - I can just imagine you carrying your pup back in the rain :( I'm so happy that you're okay & safe- that is just the best!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you're ace and there was minimal damage for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your sweet and encouraging words! Thank you for taking time to comment! (I reply by email unless you have a "no-reply" address set up)