Spring & Summer Fashion

Spring & Summer Fashion
Spring/Summer Style

Work Style

Work Style
Work Style

Dressing Room

Dressing Room
Dressing Room Diaries

Workweek Chic: 5 Ways to Stand Out at The Office


Dress: Tracy Negoshian || Wedges: J. Crew Factory || Monogram: Moon & Lola (I'm wearing the XL size) || Apple Watch

Happy Wednesday friends! Yesterday I ended up having a crazy day at work - if you follow me on Instagram that you saw I was at the studio until almost 1:00 AM because we had a Today's Special launch at midnight for my brand. We were introducing a new guest and I wanted to be there to support her! I was running on about 4 hours of sleep the rest of the day, and then got my end-of-year review! A whole lot to take in :) 

But, as I was speaking with my boss about my successes and opportunities, it got me thinking that I've learned a LOT in the past 7 years of being a professional, and I wanted to share some of that with y'all. When you work in a large corporate office it can be difficult to stand out among all your co-workers. But, I have a few tips that have made a difference for me and have helped me to get noticed (in good ways!) PS- Even if you worked in a smaller office or less traditional environment these tips can still apply!


ONE || DRESS FOR SUCCESS
When I worked at my first job out of college for a fashion retailer in their corporate office, I sat no more that 200 feet outside where there president and CEO of my company's offices were. This led my boss to give me one of the best pieces of advice: "Dress like you could be called into the CEO's office at any time." This is such a powerful reminder that your clothes/appearance do speak volumes about you and you always want them leaving a great impression! Even now, working for a much larger retailer, I end up in the elevator with my President and/or CEO about once a month- so I always make sure i'm on my A-game.

My go-to pieces for ensuring I'm dressing for success are wrap dresses (like the one I'm sharing today) as well as Elsa tops + dress pants. Both of these looks are no-fail styles that leave me confident (and leave others with a great impression)!


TWO || GO THE EXTRA MILE
It's said that the "early bird gets the worm" but I think the person who goes above and beyond at any time is the one who really wins :) One of the best things I've done for my career is become the go-to girl for anything my division needs. Need to run a sample across campus to QA? I got it. Need to stay until midnight for a launch of our shows the next day? I got it. Need to run extra reports or pull together additional analysis? I got it. You get the idea!

I'm not saying that your life has to 100% be your job (in fact I'm a huge believer in work-life balance but that's a whole other blog post!), but by making yourself available to do additional tasks/work/responsibilities you solidify your role within a team/division/company & your importance as a team-player. Become someone who says "yes" to new opportunities and you will certainly reap the professional rewards!


THREE || BACK IT UP WITH FACTS
Another powerful piece of advice that my current boss has instilled in me is to ALWAYS have the facts to back up your thoughts/ideas. The thing is, we all have great, innovative ideas, but not every idea works for every company; so if you have a fresh thought- get the facts and "prove" your reasoning and trust me- you will leave a lasting impression!


FOUR || HELP OTHERS
Ever since learning the idea of "Servant Leadership" as Junior League president, it's forever changed my approach to team environments. The theory is that we best lead by serving others & meeting their needs (rather than just dictating what they need to do). 

So how does this apply to the office? Don't allow any task or job to be "below" you! If there are ever times the girls on my team are overwhelmed or stressed, my first question is always, "how can I help?". Sometimes this means I pitch in on a job traditionally done by our beginning associates, but I know that helping contributes to the big picture- which is our team's success! And trust me, this kind of help/teamwork comes back to you. Just the other week, I was extremely stressed at the office and it was my turn to organize/execute a style out for our executive team. I was really stressed out when one of the associate buyers on another team came over and said "You always help me out, so how can I help you with this?" Seriously y'all what a sigh of relief it was to have a second pair of hands! So be a team player & help others :)


FIVE || BE A LEADER ANY WAY YOU CAN
Not everyone wants to ultimately be a leader (in the sense of being a president of a company), but we all have innate leadership skills and exercising them will certainly help you stand out at the office! Here's a great example: Our entry level job is a Merchandise Assistant, and we are constantly bringing on new "MA's" at the company & recently added a new member to our team. I've been extremely impressed by seeing how one of our current MA's has taken on training her and is giving her tasks, projects, and trainings. She is truly being a leader- even though she's a newbie to the company herself! Find ways to "flex your leadership muscles" and you will definitely get noticed!




So what do you think? Do these tips help you? Anything you'd like to add to the list? Share in the comments below!


10 comments

  1. You're a girl after my own heart. I always like to be the best at what I'm doing, so I've become my boss's #2 girl. Always running to ask what needs to be done and how I can help. I find work much more fulfilling that way!
    x0x0 Caro http://thecarolove.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, great tips, and this speaks very loudly as to who you are as a person. i'm super curious as to where you work, is it like a home shopping network? qvc is located about 30 mins from me, and since i love to shop i've always wanted to do something with them. i wish i knew about them earlier in my life, so i could have actually majored in college with something aligned with buying, etc. but i don't know what that even is!
    b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right... I work for the Home Shopping Network! I was actually a marketing major in college with a minor in Retail which is how I broke into buying. I'm planning a post soon with "How I got into Buying" and to explain more about my day-to-day job! :) Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
    2. yes, i can't wait to read that! thanks!
      b

      Delete
  3. Amazing things are happening for you at work! Get it gurlie! And loving this dress on you - the perfect work wardrobe while also making a statement <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grade A tips girlie-plus, you look so colorful!-Katelyn/www.theyellowspectacles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is so pretty, I love the print!

    xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fun print of this dress! It's always great to see people grow and flourish in whatever they are doing. The fact that you noticed really says something about your great character too!!
    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such great tips and this is the perfect dress for work! I completely agree about always having facts to back up what you say -- if you can defend your argument, it makes it much more likely for others to buy into it!

    ​xx katie // a touch of teal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! You can win people over with facts :)

      Delete

I love reading your sweet and encouraging words! Thank you for taking time to comment! (I reply by email unless you have a "no-reply" address set up)