Fall & Winter Fashion

Fall & Winter Fashion
Fall/Winter Style

Work Style

Work Style
Work Style

Dressing Room

Dressing Room
Dressing Room Diaries

A Non-Tech Girl's Review of the Apple Watch


Happy Monday y'all! I've been getting a lot of questions on social media since getting my Apple watch a month ago about my thoughts on it, and how I like it vs. my Fitbit; so I thought this would be the perfect topic for a blog post! Since I'm definitely not a technology queen this is going to be an "average girl's guide" of sorts- written in language that's easy to understand. So let's get to it shall we?!

To lay the groundwork: I had a Fitbit Charge HR for a little over a year before making the decision to switch over to the Apple Watch (I chose the 42mm Sport Gold Aluminum with a Navy band). My reasoning was pretty simple- I was ready for a new Fitbit & decided that the Apple watch looked more professional (while having the same functionality). I was definitely worried at first about whether I made the right decision, but (spoiler alert!) I sure think that I did and here is why...


{ACTIVITY/STEP TRACKER}
I think this is one of the most frequent questions that I am asked: "How does the step tracker compare?" When I first got the watch I compared it with my Fitbit step tracker and they were nearly identical- so no worries that one is more accurate than the other! It's also recommended that if you go on a walk/run you take your phone with you the first few times so that your watch can get a feel for your steps and stride and correlates it with your phone's GPS to see how that translates to mileage- this ensures that the watch is as accurate as possible (WOW that sounded real tech-savvy!). 

The overall interface of the Apple watch fitness app is definitely different than that of the Fitbit, but once I got used to it, it was just as easy to use. Apple's app definitely emphasizes your overall fitness level more than daily steps (like the Fitbit does). At first I really missed the "competitions" that you can have on the Fitbit app, but Apple has recently introduced the same idea into their app, so now you can compete with friends to see who can get the most steps in a week!

{SOCIAL MEDIA NOTIFICATIONS}
One thing that really sets the Apple watch apart from other fitness trackers is how it seamlessly integrates with your phone to send you notifications and really keep everything you need to know right at your wrist! The watch uses Bluetooth to sync off of your phone, so you do have to be within 30 ft of your phone to get all of your notifications and such. But don't worry, if you do go out of range of your phone your fitness tracker still works and you receive notifications once you're back in range.

{RUNNING FUNCTIONALITY}
I was really excited to have a more accurate running tracker that could give me time, distance, pace, HR and more for my runs. There is a Workout app on the watch that you can specify what kind of cardio you are doing and then it tracks all relevant information for that exercise. It's made such a difference to be able to track my pace and time (and had me getting excited that I'm slowly getting faster!)

{OVERALL LOOK}
As I mentioned above, the look of the Apple watch was one of my main factors in making the switch (see? Non-tech girl decision at it's finest!) As much as I loved my Fitbit, it was definitely not the cutest, and I couldn't help but wish it was jazzier looking when I was wearing it at work or to night's out. I definitely do not feel that way about the watch! It's sleek design, modern look, and easily interchangeable bands make me feel like I'm wearing jewelry- not a tech accessory!

So there you have it! I love my Apple watch and am excited to continue to learn more about it and I would definitely recommend it to anyone else. If you have any specific questions that I missed please feel free to ask me in the comments or email me!

{SHOP FITNESS TRACKERS AND ACCESSORIES}



Linkup Button

Image Map

12 comments

  1. I love my apple watch and all the interchangeable bands I can have!! I didn't know about the steps challenge they just integrated - we'll have to battle with each other LOL! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't gotten a fitness tracker and I had thought about getting the Apple watch but I love all my other watches too much to give up wearing those. I love all the features though, how cool is it that you get notifications from your phone?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are so fun, but I can't see myself buying one. I like to switch out my watches and arm candy too much to justify the cost for something I won't wear everyday!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want an Apple Watch but I am not a watch/bracelet wearing girl - I end up playing with whatever is on my wrist all day long. That type of watch would definitely distract me all day with all of the fun things it does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my FitBit, but the Apple Watch sounds amazing! Loved your post, it was so helpful.

    Ashley
    MyWellDressedLife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was helpful for you! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a great watch to have for increasing your fitness tracking. i like how you had a FitBit first so you can actually compare them.

    Xoxo,
    Whitney & Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! I'm actually getting an Apple watch before I go to NYC for the summer because my mom wants me to be on top of my texts! hahah!
    xo
    Lauren
    The Fashionista's Diary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! I'm trying to decide if I want to take the Apple watch plunge and your post is the 3rd positive one in the last 2 weeks I've read. I just might do it! Thank you for making it simple.

    Jami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! I am so glad that you found my review helpful and easy to understand :) Thanks so much for visiting and let me know how you like the watch if you get one!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the info! I know I messaged you on Instagram about this as well :) Stupid question... BUT I assume you can only challenge other Apple Watch owners/wearers correct?! I don't know many people with one so not sure that feature would be great for me (just talking out loud- ha!)... but I agree that I love the look of this way more than the Fitbit! :)

    https://happilyevergriedlscom.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad I understand it, you can only challenge other Apple wearer's right now; but I'm still trying to figure that functionality out right now :)

      Delete

I love reading your sweet and encouraging words! Thank you for taking time to comment! (I reply by email unless you have a "no-reply" address set up)